Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 Review
The Cambridge Audio Azur 640A v2 is a one of those rare beasts, a genuinely neutral and decently built amp at an extremely reasonable price. Upon unpacking this amp the first thing that strikes you is the simple elegant and good looking front panel. This amp has definitely had the front panel designers grafting away at it till it looks “right”. Its simple in design, elegant and dare I say it quite pretty. Unfortunately the excellent appearance of the 640A is let down by a slightly less than exemplary build quality for the front panel. Some of the knobs notably the volume feel a little on the cheap side, its a shame as this is one of the few bad things I have to say about the 640a v2.
As regards audio the unit is actually quite phenomenal for the price. It sounds far more powerful than its 75Wpc rating. Its imaging is exemplary giving you a genuine sense of the space recordings were made in. The bass is powerful and well defined but without ever feeling “pushy”. The midrange is very transparent and unaffected, letting you hear the recoding rather than any artefacts produced by the amp. This transparency results in a very easy to listen to sound with no resultant ear fatigue.
Overall we feel that for general use you’ll find it very hard to find as capable (or pretty) an amp for this kind of money.
- Fantasticly warm sound feels extremely musical and “Large”
- Incredible value
- Good looks, pretty even if some of the build quality isnt 100%
- Nice overload protection feature
- Volume Knob feels a bit cheap
- Remote a bit awkward.
- Speaker terminals are a little under par.
- Slew rate (into 8 ohms): 30V/uS
- Power Output: 75 watts into 8 Ohms
- 120 watts into 4 Ohms
- Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
- Loudspeaker Impedance: 4 to 8 Ohms
- Line: 330mV
- Phono (using optional phono stage): 1.75mV
- Total Harmonic Distortion (into 8 Ohms 80% rated power): 0.002% THD (No weighting) @ 1kHz
0.0015% THD (A weighted) @ 1kHz 0.02% THD 20Hz – 20kHz @ 10W
- Frequency Response: 5Hz to 50kHz +/- 1dB Bass: +/- 7.5dB @20Hz Treble: +/- 7.5dB @20kHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio (No weighting): 90dB
- Improved pre-amp and power amp circuitry
- CAP5™ protection system with no sound quality degrading active circuitry added into the signal path
- Incognito Ready(TM) (Type 1) A-Bus multi-room outputs
- Control Bus In and Out
- IR emitter in
- Improved volume, tone and balance controls
- New custom designed 3-way terminals
- Solid aluminium front panel with acoustically damped chassis and all metal casework
- Max. Power Consumption: 515 Watts
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 430 x 310 x 100mm 16.9 x 12.2 x 3.9″
- Weight: 7 kg/15.4 lbs
- Original RRP: $550 (Check current Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 pricing on Amazon)