Onkyo CS-325 CD Receiver System Review
The Onkyo CS-325 CD receiver system was designed to fill the gap between entry level cheap shelf systems and serious quality mini hi fi and separates systems, after using it for a short while we feel it has definitely fulfilled that role well. Appearance wise it is minimalist and solidly built with a simple to understand faceplate, the speakers are functional in appearance but perhaps a little too large to truly class the CS-325 as a mini hi fi system.
The main unit hosts a simple 40 preset receiver and a simple (but very well built) Single-Bit DAC CD Player, there is also an optional iPod dock available for the system. Sonically the CS-325 is a solid performer with a flat mid range though perhaps a little uninspiring. Lets be clear about this, the CS-325 is not true hi fi quality, what it is though is very good bang for the buck. Sound wise it has decent quality bass and mids, it sounds clear and airy in the mids but to those listening closely the system may feel slightly lacking in the top end also the speakers don’t handle anything below 50Hz so sub bass is missing (at this price what were you expecting?). Some may wish to attach a separate Sub Woofer to this system to bass it up a little. The power output of this system is also not what you would expect from a full scale separates hifi system but it is powerful enough for general home or office use, perhaps in a small back room, kitchen or smallish office space.
Don’t let these minor issues put you off though, the CS-325 is an extremely good system for the money and both in terms of build and sound quality hands down beats many of the more feature laden entry level mini systems from other manufacturers. A solid choice for those who don’t want to get into separates systems.
Onkyo CS-325 base unit features
- Single-Bit DAC CD Player
- CD Shuffle / Random Play
- WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
- Discrete Output Stage
- Low Impedance Drive
- Audio Input/Output Terminals 2/1
- Subwoofer Pre Out
- 40 station Presets with preset naming functionality
- Automatic/Manual Tuning
- Sleep Timer
- Headphone Jack
- RI-Compatible Remote Control
- Power Output: 14 W + 14 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC); 19 W + 19 W (4 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
- Dynamic Power: 22 W + 22 W (3 ohms); 20 W + 20 W (4 ohms); 14 W + 14 W (8 ohms)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.9% (Rated power), 0.4% (1 kHz, 1 W)
- Tone Control: ±6 dB, 80 Hz (Bass); ±8 dB, 10 kHz (Treble); +7 dB, 80 Hz (Super bass)
- Speaker Impedance: 4 ohms–16 ohms
- Audio Dynamic Range: 95 dB
- Power Supply: AC 120 V, 60 Hz
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) 8 1/16″ x 4 9/16″ x 14 7/16″
- Weight: 8.8 lbs.
- Speaker Type: 2-way, bass reflex
- Frequency Response (Speakers): 50 Hz–100 kHz
- Crossover Frequency: 6 kHz
- Max. Input Power: 70 W
- RRP: $294.00 (Check Onkyo CS-325 CD Receiver System Pricing on Amazon)