Polk Audio RM6750
Occasionally I asked to suggest a decent all-round entry level speaker system for home theatre, the Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System is without a doubt one of the best recent offerings at this price level. Polk Audio are renowned for their more top end speaker systems such as the ATI R7 or the AM1805 SurroundBar so it may surprise some to see them making such inroads to the budget end of the home theatre market but I for one am glad they did.
The Polk Audio RM6750 system arrived nicely over packaged, it took a little longer than I usually expect to get things out of the box but this is some ways makes you feel psychologically like things are going to be better protected in transit, not that the speakers really seem to need it. The speakers are reasonably attractive especially the 4 dinky little satelite speakers which seem especially small next to the to my mind overly large subwoofer, all 6 pieces are pretty solid in construction have a reasonable heft and look to be built to last.
Initial setup is easy, I found that the sub needed a slight cut in output volume on my receiver in order to take away some of the boomieness I was perceiving on louder passages of music and movie soundtracks. Once I cut 3 or so dB I sound that the sound quality was very reasonable, while the bass was a little over emphasised the top end was nicely balanced and in control and the mid range is slightly effected compared to higher end speaker sets. While not exactly silky smooth or 100% natural the RM6750 system still managed to be very listenable and especially kept speech very understandable even on loud passages and during action sequences. In terms of sound staging the RM6750 coped very well, giving a real feel of movement and solid placement for each track. Overall I would say that the Polk Audio RM6750 system is probably best suited to a purely AV role as its unlikely to give you top end response in use as part of music playback system, not a top end product but but extremely capable and very good value for money for use as part a primarily movie oriented system.
- Six piece surround sound package that includes 2 front and 2 surround speakers, 1 center-channel speaker, and 1 subwoofer
- Satellite and center-channel speakers can accommodate 6.1 or 7.1 channel systems
- Front and surround speakers: Single 3-1/2-inch polymer composite cone woofer; single 1/2-inch silk/polymer composite dome
- Surround and front speaker dimensions: 6-1/2 x 4-1/16 x 5 inches (HxWxD)
- Center speaker: Dual 3-1/2-inch polymer composite cone woofer; single 3/4-inch silk/polymer composite dome
- Center speaker dimensions: 4-5/16 x 11-3/16 x 5-13/16 inches (HxWxD)
- Subwoofer: 8-inch subwoofer
- Subwoofer dimensions: 15-7/8 x 11 x 13-1/2 inches (HxWxD)
- RRP: $599.95 (Check Amazon for Current Pricing)